Tuesday 29 March 2016

Easter Weekend

Wow! What a weekend. Spent 4 whole days at my parents farm, which was glorious. Spent many hours on the boat in the beautiful autumn weather. Caught a couple fish, but it was nice just being out on the water. Here is a nice picture of a butterfly that graced us with its presence last week.



We had a heap of eggs last week so I decided to make a pavlova and custard for Easter. Previously I haven't had much luck with getting the pavlova to be marshmallowy on the inside, but this time it worked! I used Rhonda's recipe from The Simple Home, and it was very delicious.



However, in the oven it rose quite large, but it was just the outside shell. Then it all crumbled in! I'm not sure how to prevent this from happening.



Over the weekend our garden survived, and our lettuce exploded in size. Can't wait to have homegrown lettuce in sandwiches and salads again. I hate buying lettuce when it's so easy to grow.



Our seedlings are also going very well. There are some more adult leaves but they aren't ready to plant out yet. They seem to be quite slow growers in the commercial seed raising mix so we're going to try a full worm casting mix soon to see if that helps. What we have planted so far into the worm castings is going very well! But there are also a lot of tomato seedlings coming up :( we need to be more careful what we put in the worm farm in the future. I don't think we've put any tomatoes in in ages and putting it in the compost instead.



My aims for this week are to clean the house before the weekend and hopefully start some knitting. I've got the gear to start to learn again, just need to start!
Have a lovely day!

2 comments:

  1. Kat, at Christmas I usually make pav using the old Womens Weekly recipe and it never fails. It is important to use room temp eggs and there are a few other bits and pieces to remember. It is very easy. Now that I have given up sugar though I will need to find an alternative ;-) Good luck with your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Will definitely keep that in mind for the next time that I make it.

      Delete