Saturday 4 March 2017

My Simple Life - So Far...Pt 1

Since the forum is closing down, I thought I would have a look back on all I have achieved since I joined just over a year ago. What a journey it has been. And it is just beginning.


1. Learnt how to KNIT

I already knew how to do basic knitting, but nothing more serious than a scarf. I started with some discloths, then beanies, then a blanket, then A VEST, and now I am knitting all sorts of odds and ends for the house. The blanket and vest are still a WIP. The blanket is made out of squares and will probably be one for the couch. I have 4 more squares to go. The vest was a Christmas present for my Grandma (oops) and I promised I would get it done before the cold weather hits. Not long to go now!

Here are my first dishcloths!

2. Learnt how to use DISHCLOTHS

What a revelation dishcloths are. So pretty, so easy and so useful. Now I don't have to buy cloths from the shop to then just throw them away. They are great for cleaning too. I don't know how anyone lives without them!

My wonderful gift of dishcloths from a forum swap :) (they are OH's favourite)

3. Learnt how to make SIMPLE MEALS

I used to cook everything from recipes. Nowadays I am experimenting a bit more. By simple meals I mean recipes that I have most of the ingredients already. It's nice to only have to buy a couple things for a meal. It saves a lot of money, is easy to cook and tastes great.

Fresh tomato sauce with homemade pasta and bread - yum

4. Learnt how to make jam and PRESERVE

These are the best skills I think I have learnt. It is very rewarding gifting my families favourite jams to them, or for them to find a new favourite. My Grandma loves my Guava Jelly! It is also a great way of preserving excess produce. Next goal - to grow/buy cheaply enough tomatoes to make passata or sauces for the year.

My Guava Jelly

5. Learnt how to GARDEN (better)

I was already gardening before I got into simple living, but now it makes me love it more. I think differently about what I grow. One of the great things I learnt is that you can replace silverbeet in recipes with beetroot tops. That is a great example of having multiple purposes for everything!

My little vege patch at my parents, I hasn't really looked any better than this :(

There are still more things I have learnt...stay tuned for some more.


2 comments:

  1. You've done so well - so many positive changes. If you are worried about your veggies at your parents, the soil probably needs a little more food would be my best bet. Next season add lots of compost, rotted down chicken manure and then top off with newspaper and straw - you'll see a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added some chook poo and I am about to put some more sugar cane mulch this arvo (which disappeared and I didn't notice!). Some of it has improved, which is really good to know. When we get our compost going again I will definitely get some more on there :) I actually have a bucket of worm castings that might go well too...

    ReplyDelete