Monday 8 May 2017

K'Gari trip

We left on Friday morning to get to K'Gari on the low tide (Fraser island in local language, pronounced gurry like curry). There were a lot of cars waiting to get over! The event is the Fraser Island Cleanup which is when several 4wd clubs of QLD are invited to volunteer for a morning of work in exchange for a couple meals, free camping and half price ferry. All in all a great deal!

I only spent around $90 for our weekend away which I am quite happy with. I love camping! Before we left we finished off the camping drawers that we have wanted to install for ages. I didn't take any photos of K'Gari, but I did take some of my car! Haha! We were in narrow 4wd tracks or on the beach so it is hard to take photos.

Here is a photo of our whole set up on the particularly beautiful Saturday morning:


Our little tent is there which came out a bit worse for wear with the wind. Our chairs are up on the dune where we read and drunk tea before breakfast. Our new awning is there too. It did well in the intense wind on Friday. Here is a photo of our awesome new drawer/shelving system:



The back and sides of the canopy open out which is great for access. On the right is our big esky (which is going to be on a rolling tray some day). On the left is the drawer which is the full length of the ute tray. It holds cups, plates, cutlery, torches, toilet paper, washing up things, everything we need quickly. Above both of these is a solid top to put things on top of. The other bits and pieces we are trying to sort out (like where to put food) but it will come together soon. We only just figured out how to attach a proper gas bottle to our cooker so it was kind of chucked in at the end. We will put it on top of the shelf in the corner. I would like to get a tall, large water jerry as well to squeeze in the side.

We will have to go camping a lot to figure it out. What a chore! (not!). We spend Friday keeping out of the wind and rain and setting up. On Saturday we went for a drive with half of the club to the Land of the Giants, where there are some massive turpentine trees. Couldn't fit the largest tree in a photo! We then went to an old abandoned airfield where there was a tower on top of a hill with a fantastic view of a lot of the island and the mainland. Again no photos, you can't take in that much beauty in a single photo! We swung by a nice freshwater lake on the way home. On Sunday we helped with the cleanup by doing a lot of weeding. I had focused my eye on lantana (a particularly invasive viney/bushy thing) and pulled out many small plants. It was a good feeling and easy to pull out of the sandy soil.

It was a very relaxing trip for me. I find when I go camping my brain turns off. Not in a bad way, but in a way that all of the things swirling around my head stops. On the way home they started again. I forgot how nice it was for it to stop for a little while. So onto the next camping trip, perhaps after winter hehe.

Have a good week and stay warm.

Kat

3 comments:

  1. Fraser Island Cleanup is a great idea. A win, win for all. Cups of tea with a book on sand dunes, mmmm sounds pretty good to me.

    I'm glad your mind slowed down too. Mental rest is just as important as physical.

    Your set up is coming together well. A few more trips and you'll have it down pat.

    Have a great day.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice break, Kat. Is Fraser Island where there are a lot of dingoes? Can't remember if it is there or Straddy not that I have been to either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fraser has lots of dingoes. I saw 4 on the weekend!

      Delete