Monday 27 June 2016

Windy winter gardening

For almost a week now I have been feeling under the weather with a cold/flu thing, not helped by my chronic sinusitis. Luckily it was only really bad yesterday and I'll hopefully be back at work tomorrow. My house is too cold because of the wind!

On the weekend we spent an afternoon in the garden, planting out some more beds and getting the flower bed prepared. Here is the new bed:


It contains mostly greens and is in the old roots bed. The other bed we planted out 2 weeks ago is chugging along nicely.



And here is the flower bed, which we left under black plastic for a while. Seems to have done a good job.



I am trying a few things with the peas, the climbing ones I replanted and they are going on my new and improved rio trellis feat. bird wire.



I also planted some bush peas along the fence. According to the packet they need to be kept out of the wind (oops!) so ours were a bit stunted. I'm going to try and secure them to the fence and see how that goes. The cumquat tree is so close!  Maybe in a week or so we will be able to start harvesting fruit.



And our seedlings are still going well, sold some more last week. Probably need to get some more going now. We are going to be inundated with greens in about a month, I can't wait for our garden to look beautiful and I'll take some nice photos then.



Our cauliflower is ready to harvest and the broccoli's are starting to head after being hammered by moths. We will have some more cabbage soon too.





Our potato boxes are going well too. We haven't had much success with potatoes before so it is a bit of a trial.



And my permanent broody laid an egg on Saturday! I was very excited. She has probably now reached double figures this year lol.

Have a nice week.

No comments:

Post a Comment